It is easy to saythat people need to keep learning throughouttheir careers. The practicalities are daunting
WHEN educationfails to keep pace withtechnology, the result is inequality. Without the skills to stay useful asinnovations arrive, workers suffer—and if enough of them fall behind, societystarts to fall apart. That fundamental insight seized reformers in theIndustrial Revolution, heralding state-fundeduniversal schooling. Later, automation in factories and offices called forth a surge in college graduates. Thecombination of education and innovation, spread over decades, led to aremarkable flowering of prosperity.
• practicalities n.1.[plural]实际事物；实际情况 2.[U]可行性；适用性 =feasibility 3.[U]实事求是
• daunting adj.使人恐惧；令人气馁的；令人望而却步的=Intimidating• daunt v.使气馁；使胆怯；使失去信心
• undaunted adj.顽强；百折不挠；坚强不屈=undeterred
• keep pace (with sb/sth)（与...）并驾齐驱；（与...）步调一致
• 句式：When...fail(s)to do sth, the result is +抽象名词
• as innovation arrive
The arrival of…*The arrival of the touchscreen wasthe last big shift in the way humans interact with computers.
...have been around for years *Computer-dictation systems have beenaround for years.
• state-funded adj.政府出资的
• called forth (to produce aparticular reaction ) 引起；产生 *His speech called forth an angry response.
• flowering n.1.[C]（艺术、音乐、科学等新思潮的）繁荣时期，鼎盛时期
• …led/leads to a remarkable flowering ofprosperity